Skip to main content

4.Overall Reflection

My perception of leadership theory

Happy learning time in always feel short, a semester of course is over, the first class seems to be yesterday. The overall feeling of studying with Dr.Jamilah this semester is two words: fulfilled and happy.

The content of this course is something I have never encountered before. Although I served as the monitor in college and assisted teachers with some simple class management, I often carried out class work based on my own feelings, without theoretical guidance or the consciousness of summarizing and reviewing. For a long time, my understanding of management was based on practice and self-awareness. This method not only lacks the guidance of scientific theory, but also is difficult to summarize experience as a system, which is very limited for their own improvement. In this course, Dr.Jamilah gives us a deep understanding of management theories. He not only teaches the theories, but also gives us a deep understanding of these theories through a variety of vivid examples.

In this semester, I learned the contingency leadership theory, there is no best management theory, only the most suitable management theory; I learned 5 levels of management theory, how to become a company from good to great; I learned about the behavior and motivation of leaders, how to deal with crises, how to negotiate and a series of new knowledge.

In this course, Dr.Jamilah would often put forward various questions for us to answer, which might be the opinion of a phenomenon or the understanding of a theory. No matter what the question was, Dr.Jamilah always had a magic power to fully mobilize the enthusiasm of students, and heated discussions were held in the comments section. These discussions not only broadened my horizon and deepened my understanding of theories, but also made me feel the seriousness and responsibility of Dr.Jamilah. I aspire to be an educator myself, and in Dr.Jamilah's class, I learned how to influence students through my expertise and charisma, and how to engage students in the curriculum.

The content of each class always reminds me of my past experience unconsciously. I found the answers to some problems that I could not figure out how to solve before in class. Some people may think that leadership theory must be applied to a company or a large team, but in my opinion, leadership theory can also be applied to the management of a class, a group of three, or even one's own life.

In my previous work, I was often at a loss when faced with management problems and did not know how to carry out work. The study of this semester has given me the strength of theory. I have heard a saying that great power can be generated when theory and practice are combined. The biggest feature of Dr.Jamilah's class is that it will not only talk about theory, but also talk about various practical problems, which is the biggest surprise to me. All the knowledge we have learned needs to have a relationship with the objective material world in the end, and putting theories into practice is the ultimate goal of our study. This course not only taught me theories, but also taught me how to view the world from what perspective and what methods to understand the world, and also taught me how to transform the environment around me and how to do it.

The beauty of leadership is that these theories can be applied not only to the grand cause, but also to our everyday lives. Life itself is a problem, I think it is impossible to thoroughly learn how to solve life problems, but we can use this knowledge to make our life better. The content about conflicts in the class explained the causes of conflicts and how we should solve conflicts from a theoretical level. Dr.Jamilah explained these knowledge in a simple way, which benefited me a lot.

I may not be a leader of many people, and I may stay in my own small circle all my life, but I will use what I have learned in class to try to manage my life and be a leader in my own life.


Comments